Being aware of the highest paying jobs in South Africa assists you in planning your future while pursuing a career.
Even though financial considerations shouldn’t be your only basis when choosing a professional path, it’s a major factor to look at.
So while you consider job satisfaction, skills abilities, and other things, look out for a well-pay job that enables you to live above average.
In that regard, we’ve made a list of the highest-paying jobs in South Africa. Note, that the earning potential varies according to work experience, talents, and qualifications.
By perusing this list, you may gain financial insight into a job that interests you.
What Is Considered a High Salary in South Africa?
South Africa’s average monthly wage is roughly 23,122 ZAR, or 277,464 ZAR per year. The lowest average monthly pay in South Africa is approximately 7,880 ZAR, and the highest average monthly salary is approximately 139,000 ZAR.
To say you’re earning high in South Africa, you must earn significantly more than the country’s average salary.
If your annual pay is between 300,000 and 400,000 ZAR, you will most likely be able to live very comfortably. Additionally, the closer you go to the 1,000,000+ ZAR barrier, the better.
That being said, let’s look at the highest-paying jobs in South Africa.
Highest Paying Jobs in South Africa
Here is a list of the highly paid jobs in South Africa. Note, in our listing, we arranged them in ascending order.
Here you go!
- Software Engineer
- Project Manager
- Financial Manager
- Management Consultant
- Industrial Engineer
- IT Manager
- Petroleum Engineer
- Technical And Business Architect
- Specialist Doctor
#10. Software Engineer
Average Salary: R494,730
Software Engineers are one of the highest paying engineering jobs in South Africa.
Because the importance of their role involves the designing, development, maintenance, testing, and evaluation of computer software, their service is always needed.
#9. Project Manager
Average Salary: R500,000
Project management job is among the highest paid management jobs in South Africa.
This high-earning job charges you with the responsibility of planning, executing, and managing projects.
As a project manager, you are entrusted with drawing up project plans for an organization.
Also, you’ll assemble a team of individuals that take part in the project. And then ensure that projects are completed on time and within the specified budget.
- Before you can fit into a project manager’s position in any company, you must have a bachelor’s degree in management, engineering, marketing, finance, information technology, or project management.
- Aside from the degree, it’s important you have good leadership ability and aptitude for communication.
- Then, have the ability to solve problems.
- Also, having the capacity for analysis Capacity for delegation can increase your chances of getting the job.
- In the job World, project manager’s job is among the jobs that demands a high level of integrity.
- Keep in mind that, it’s important you have team spirit and dedicated in delivering duties.
Need more project management opportunities? Check out this job opportunity for a Project Manager.
Average Salary: R550,656
Actuary is one of the most sought-after professionals in South Africa. It is among the highest paying jobs in South Africa worth going for.
Actuaries are essential to the insurance and reinsurance industries.
Basically, as an Actuary, you will measure and manage risk and uncertainties, which could negatively affect both sides of the balance sheet.
Compiles and evaluates data to determine the likelihood and likely cost of an event such as death, disease, accident, disability, or property loss.
Then, addresses financial issues such as the level of pension contributions required to generate a specific group of retirement income and the optimal manner for a business.
- First, this is one of the highest paying jobs in South Africa that requires you have mathematical expertise, calculus, statistics, and probability knowledge.
- Second, having aptitude for analysis, project management, and problem-solving are needed.
- Then, have an excellent business sense in Accounting, Economics, and Finance.
- Also, you must have exceptional communication abilities, both vocal and written. as well as good computer skills.
- Note, you must have a 4-year degree in industrial management, business, or any related field to qualify for this job position.
#7. Financial Manager
Average Salary: R619,240
Financial Managers are one of the highest-paying personnel in South Africa.
If you want to build a career around Finance, working to become a finance manager will reward you handsomely.
Most Finance managers in South African companies are responsible for producing financial reports, directing investment activities, and developing strategies and plans for the long-term financial goal of their company.
In fact, they take care of the company’s financial health where they work.
- Any company interviewing you for the position of finance manager expects you to have a bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Accounting, or Business Administration.
- In addition to the degree, you must have good oral and written communication abilities.
- Then, the Initiative to increase commercial awareness.
- The job requires someone that can be a player on a team. That means teamspirit skill is highly needed.
- Also, you must know how to handle and solve problems to be eligible for this job.
- Further, good analytical, IT and numerical abilities are needed.
#6. Management Consultant
Average Salary: R625,038
Management Consultant is next on our list of highest paying jobs in South Africa.
In Most South African companies, Management consultants help in the growth process of their system. They achieve this by solving problems and finding new and better ways of approaching things.
As a management consultant, you will be solely responsible for developing coaching skills, process analysis, technology implementation, and strategy development for the company’s progress.
- No company will employ you as a management consultant if you don’t have a bachelor’s degree in Business administration, accounting, and management.
- Due to the nature of the job, it is important you have full the capacity for collaboration.
- Also, you must have good intrapersonal communication ability, both oral and written
- Innovative and creative ablilities are among the core skills that qualify you for this high paying job.
- On top of that, it’s necessary that you have the capacity for analysis.
Are you an engineer and you want to work in Ghana? Any of these Engineering Jobs in Ghana might suit you.
#5. Industrial Engineer
Average Salary: R663,347
This is another high-paying engineering job in South Africa.
Industrial engineers identify solutions to eliminate waste in manufacturing operations in most companies.
Also, they ensure the creation of an efficient system for manufacturing a product or service that incorporates workers, machines, materials, information, and technology.
Then, analyze production schedules, engineering requirements, process flow diagrams, and other data to understand manufacturing and service processes and activities better.
Further, they put control measures in place to resolve production issues cost-effectively.
- One important thing most companies consider when hiring industry engineers is creative ability. Having creative ability can help in analyzing and understanding manufacturing processes better.
- Also, it’s expedient you have good critical thinking ability and be able to give listening ears to instructions.
- To become industry engineer in any company, good mathematical skills can give you a better chance.
- In addition to that, you need to be effective and efficient when it comes to giving solution to problems.
- Finally, you must have good speaking and writing skills.
#4. IT Manager
Average Salary: R663,539
Next on our list of highest-paying jobs in South Africa is IT Management.
Becoming an IT Manager requires you to understand the management process. This is because your significant role will have to do with planning, coordinating, and supervising activities related to a company’s computers and information systems.
Working as an IT manager is one of the job opportunities where you supervise the IT department’s financial operations, including budgeting, purchasing, and budget review.
Also, you will coordinate information technology staffing activities, including hiring, supervision, scheduling, professional development, and discipline.
Furthermore, you will research information technology solutions and recommend enhancing information technology systems and infrastructure.
Keep in mind that before you can qualify to work as an IT Manager in South Africa you must have an IT Degree with a well-rounded major in computer science, information technology, and management information system.
- This is one of the highest paying jobs in South Africa that expects you have superior leadership abilities in a collaborative environment before you can think of applying.
- Also, the job needs personnels that understands Personnel development and how to build it.
- Then, you must have good communication skill, which enables you initiate communication between individuals.
- On top of that, you must have an in-depth understanding of project management principles, processes, and best practices.
#3. Petroleum Engineer
Average Salary: R694,700
Petroleum Engineering is among the highest paying engineering jobs in South Africa.
Generally, petroleum engineers’ primary focus is to locate reservoirs of natural resources and devise means of extraction.
As an engineer in this field, you ensure the proper installation and maintenance of oilfield equipment.
And then evaluate the production of wells through surveys, testing, and analysis.
- First, companies hiring you for this high paying career expects you to have technical proficiency.
- Second, you need to understand how teamwork works. That means you must have good teamworking skills.
- Third, this South African high paying job demands that you understand how to handle challenges and problems.
- Then, have the capacity to work and deliver under duress.
- And the ability to work with numbers and analyze data
In addition to the skills, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering concepts, geology, and thermodynamics through classes, laboratory work, and field research at the Entry-level positions.
#2. Technical And Business Architect
Average Salary: R871,342
This is another high-paying career in South Africa.
As a Business Architect, you will be concerned with the development and management of an enterprise’s business capabilities in accordance with its corporate strategy.
Now, other of your roles will depend solely on your level of operation.
For instance, at a macro-level, you will be responsible for establishing principles and governing policies that govern interactions with suppliers, partners, and all forms of outsourcing.
If you’re functioning at a strategic level, you’ll augment the company’s vision with target capabilities, supporting principles and policies, and an assessment of the present status of the environment to provide context.
And at the lowest level, your position can be replaced by that of a product owner, scrum master, or business analyst who engages with the program only for the purpose of explaining the architecture and supporting projects’ alignment with it.
- Technical And Business Architect is one of the highest paying jobs in South Africa that before you can qualify to take the job, you must understand and be good in applying business principles and concepts.
- Also, you must have a full understanding of how the market affects company, what makes a business unique, what and how values are formed, and how strategy creation can be aided.
- Then, having the capacity to think abstractly about business and how it can be influenced by technology helps you become competent you carrying out your roles.
- You must have a good architect’s consulting approach. With this skill, you can assist in strategy creation.
- Furthermore, you must have what it takes to destroying business competitors’ defenses through deliberate exploitation of their weak points and pinpoint strikes.
#1. Specialist Doctor
Average Salary: R1,123, 890 p/a
The first on our list of highest-paying jobs in South Africa is a specialist doctor. A specialist doctor is among the high-paid doctors in South Africa that are sought after.
To be called a specialist doctor, you must specialize in a particular field. Either you focus on heart, bone health, or medicine.
As a specialist doctor, aside from handling minor surgeries, you’ll be responsible for liaising with medical professionals, prescribing treatments to patients, and keeping records of their information results.
Requirements and Skills
- To be eligible for this high paying job, you must be good in communicating with people.
- As a specialist doctor, it’s expedient you have a emotional IQ and ability to approach problems and profound solutions.
- Paying attention to details is also a major requirement that qualifies you for this job.
- Beside the detailed orientation skill, you must have the ability to make concrete decision.
- Have the capacity for collaboration.
- On top of that, a good leadership ability is highly needed.
Additionally, you will need to register with the Faculty and undertake an approved specialty training program approved by the General Medical Council (GMC).
With this, you get qualified for both Memberships of the Faculty (MFOM) and for entry to the GMC Specialist Register.
Highest Paying Security Jobs in South Africa
As with computer programming, the security profession is one of those fields where ability trumps knowledge and degrees.
Talking about salary, it’s difficult to say how much security professionals can earn because salaries vary by location.
Other factors such as years of experience, relationships, and specific skills can significantly impact.
However, we have made a list of the highest paying security jobs in South Africa based on their average compensation:
- Chief Information Security Officer – R3,732,236
- Security Architect -R1,867,617
- Risk Manager – R1,519,934
- System, Network, and Web Penetration Tester – R1,246,132
- Network Security Engineer – R1,240,481
- Network Security Administrator
- Cyber Crime Investigator
Highest Paying Accounting Jobs in South Africa
Accounting is one of the most sought-after and well-rewarding careers in South Africa because it ensures any business’s financial flow.
- Chief Financial Officer- R2, 000 000
- Financial Director- R3, 000,000
- Chief Financial Officer – R2, 000, 000
- Senior Finance Manager- R1, 500, 500
- Finance Manager- R750,000
- Newly-qualified CA- R680,000
Highest Paying Nursing Jobs in South Africa
Here are the most sought-after, and highest-paid nursing jobs in South Africa:
- Nursing Director- 62,100 ZA
- Respiratory Manager- 49,300 ZAR
- Occupational Health Advisor- 48,400 ZAR
- Theatre Manager- 44,400 ZAR
- Occupational Therapist- 41,800 ZAR
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner 36,500 ZAR
Highest Paying Doctor Jobs in South Africa
Here are the high paying doctor jobs in South Africa:
- Heart Transplant Surgeon-152,000 ZAR
- Orthopedic Surgeon- 148,000 ZAR
- Cardiothoracic Surgeon- 139,000 ZAR
- Plastic Reconstructive Surgeon- 138,000 ZAR
- Invasive Cardiologist Surgeon- 131,000 ZAR
- Neurology Surgeon- 131,000 ZAR
- Pediatric Surgeon- 119,000 ZAR
- Trauma Surgeon- 111,000 ZAR
What Is South Africa’s Highest-Paid Career?
The highest-paying employment in the country, unsurprisingly, is in the medical industry. Specialist doctors (cardiologists, neurologists, and others) earn the maximum money in South Africa, earning an average of 1,600,000 ZAR per year.
Naturally, experience plays a significant influence in determining the actual income a specialist doctor would earn.
For instance, a newly graduated cardiologist makes approximately 730,000 ZAR per year (which is still quite a bit higher than the average salary in South Africa).
After a few years of practice, they can earn far more than the average of 1,600,000 ZAR per year, with some specialist doctors making well over 2,000,000 ZAR per year.
If a career as a specialty doctor does not appeal to you, there are numerous alternative general jobs in South Africa that pay well.
In South Africa, the average annual pay of a software engineer is R462,144.
In South Africa, the highest-paid professions include:
Technical And Business Architect
In South Africa, the average income for a doctor is R1,123, 890 p/a.
Now that you’re aware of the highest-paying jobs in South Africa, I’m sure the next step is to either organize your career around them or, if you’re a recent graduate, begin seeking for work in your chosen profession.
- Myjobmag.co.za- Highest Paying Jobs in South Africa
- Businesstech.co.za –13 Jobs in South Africa That Pay Over-r1 5 million
- Grabjobs.co– Top 20 Highest Paying Jobs in South Africa
- Y-axis.com- Top 10 Highest Paid Professions in South Africa
- Highest Paying Companies You Can Work For In Nigeria
- List Of Companies/Industries that Pay Highest Salaries in Nigeria
- General Jobs in South Africa | Government Jobs Available Now
- Government Jobs in South Africa | Government of South Africa Vacancies